We still find ourselves in the glow of Christmas season and the beginning of the New Year of 2017. Our mission, began thanks to the two shepherds of La Salette 170 years ago, makes us look upon our history with joy and gratitude, so that we turn to the future seeking the means of continuing this mission ever under the protection of the Beautiful Lady and with the light of the church’s teaching in our time. Given the above, I begin this letter with sincere wishes for a Happy New Year.
After our Superior General’s Christmas letter I have just a little news concerning the General Council or the Congregation at large.
1- In Rome:
- The General House is beginning to recapture its normal hubbub after of quiet, during which it seemed to be abandoned: our guest students are beginning to return from Christmas vacation to resume their studies.
- Fr. Adilson has been in Brazil since December 23 for vacation with his family. On December 23, before departing, he held a community meeting in his new role as Director of the House. He will return to Rome February 1. We wish him a good vacation.
- For Christmas celebration the community of the General House welcomed the confreres from the community of Via Andersen, here in Rome.
- The General Administration had a community outing January 7 under the guidance of Fr. Silvano. The site chosen for this was Subiaco, a city known because of the spirituality of Saint Benedict and situated about 70 kilometers from Rome.
- January 9, Fr. Joe Bachand, General Councilor and Superior of the International Community of La salette in France, was welcomed to the General House.
- As for our planning goes we have been involved with procuring visas for India (for the Council of the Congregation) and for Angola (Fr. Henryk, Henryk General Council, is presiding over the extraordinary chapter there). I remember the provincials to organize their travel to India as advised by Fr. Roy, the provincial Superior there.
2- In the Provinces:
- Thanks to the photos posted on Facebook, we were able to follow, with much joy, the community gathering that took place around Christmas, as well as some moments shared with our La Salette laity. Long live family spirit!
- Here are some other events taking place in the Provinces this month:
ü The Extraordinary Business Chapter in Angola (January 10-13);
ü Temporary Profession in Angola (January 14);
ü Provincial Assembly in India at the end of month, with ordination following;
ü Annual retreat in the Province of Brazil and Temporary Profession;
ü Meeting of La Salette Laity of the Italian Province in Rome (January 20-22).
All this, along with other news perhaps not forwarded to us, along with the program of the General Council, are part of the journey lived by the Congregation this first month of 2017.
Once again, wishes for a Happy New Year, and a good living out of our mission.
Fr. Belarmino Tchipundukwa MS